Sunday, 25 January 2015

So Much Washing ... Labelled Laundry Baskets ...

Laundry ... it is going to be the death of me ...

It is never ending ... load after load ...

With five people in our family no matter how much laundry I might do in a day as soon as dinner is done and everyone heads to the bathroom it's as though the clothes have multiplied and suddenly I have a whole basket full of washing again.

So to help with the endless laundry in our house I had to come up with a system.

OK so laundry consists of finding dirty clothes, sorting into whites and colours, washing, drying (either on the line or in the dryer depending on the weather - although I usually do dry the underwear in the dryer because it's quick and saves using a million pegs to hang it all up ... lazy I know!), sorting into each person, folding, more sorting into types of clothing, and then putting away. I'm sure most people agree that this is 'doing the washing' and should inform my husband that it isn't just finding dirty clothes, shoving them into machine and forgetting about it!

So to help with all that sorting I have a labelled basket for each family member. It means when the dry washing needs to be sorted you can just throw it into each basket. Sometime I can do it straight from the washing line. Now to be honest sometimes it stays like that until you need something clean and you go and have a dig though your basket. Sometimes I manage to fold it and it goes back into the basket folded. And sometimes it actually makes it back to the right bedroom and the right drawer!!! But I did say 'sometimes' not 'usually'. Let's face it I have a dozen things I would rather be doing with my time than laundry.

Anyway so here are the baskets...





It was as easy as making the labels, laminating and hot gluing them to the basket. I also have a tin for socks that have magically lost their mate along the way. I just used my Silhouette Cameo to cut out a vinyl label for the tin. After a couple of weeks I decide to cut my losses and just toss out all the odd socks.


So that's our laundry sorting system. Next time I will tell you about my homemade laundry liquid which is so much better for the environment and your budget then the stuff you pay at the shops and seems to last forever with just using a couple of cheap ingredients!!!